Lifestyle

Juvenile shot while trying to flee Metcalfe Street facility has died


A juvenile ward of the state who attempted to flee the high-security Metcalfe Street Secure Juvenile Remand Centre has died from gunshot injuries he received during the breakout attempt.

He was 17 years old.

The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) confirmed on Wednesday that the ward succumbed to his injuries. The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM), which had been probing the matter since the escape attempt, said its investigation is now a fatal shooting enquiry.

According to reports, about 5:45 am on February 10, the now-deceased — whose name is being withheld because he was a minor — along with another ward, broke out of their dormitories. One of them reportedly scaled a wall and was shot by a sentry officer.

A police team that was nearby was alerted by the explosions, and the would-be escapee was found on the ground with a gunshot wound.

He was taken to hospital, where INDECOM said he was “receiving treatment for multiple organ injuries”.

The second juvenile was caught on the compound.

“Three correctional officers have been identified as discharging their weapons during the incident,” INDECOM said in a release Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the DCS did not disclose the offence for which the ward was serving time at the Metcalfe Street facility. 

A recent report on juveniles in correctional facilities that was tabled in the Parliament recently cited that wards at the Metcalfe Street facility make frequent attempts to escape, often damaging the roof in the process.

In the meantime, the DCS said it has expressed its “sincere condolences” to the family of the ward.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.