News

Toxic algae found at Loch Lomond beauty spot as dog owners and swimmers warned



A warning has been issued after poisonous algae was found at a beauty spot in Loch Lomond.

Rangers at Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park shared alarming images of the toxic algae, which can kill dogs, on social media as temperatures rise.

They confirmed on Friday that they had reports of the toxic blue-green algae at Milarrochy Bay.

The national park advises people to keep themselves, as well as pets and livestock out of the water, when the algae blooms.

Photos of the algae at the beauty spot clearly show the streaks of green-coloured algae in the water.

According to the Scottish SPCA, the symptoms from ingesting the toxins can appear within a few minutes or hours, and commonly include vomiting, diarrhoea, disorientation, breathing difficulties and seizures.

It can cause also lead to rashes if there is skin contact with humans and illness when swallowed.

The warning from the National Park read: “Please be aware we have had reports of blue-green algae at Milarrochy Bay which can produce toxins that can kill dogs and other animals.

“In humans it can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.”

The algae, which is typically an issue in warmer months, can also produce “earthy or grassy odours” and cause foaming on the shoreline.

The danger can disappear within hours or days, depending on the weather and the water temperature, says the National Park.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here .




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close