I’m grateful for the chance to have begun the brand new yr by touring the district and speaking to the media about my legislative focus areas for 2022.
Joined by metropolis and county officers alongside the best way, our stops included West Columbia, Aiken, North Augusta and Barnwell. In every location, I spoke concerning the present challenges earlier than us, reviewed some key accomplishments in 2021, and shared highlights of my targets transferring ahead.
Unfortunately, since Biden took the oath of workplace on Jan. 20, American households have suffered underneath a one-party Democratic rule, destroying jobs with inflation at its highest in 40 years. As a end result, our nation faces unprecedented adversity at house and overseas.
Nonetheless, all through these challenges, there have been a number of constructive and welcomed congressional actions taken in 2021 which signify beneficial steps ahead. Here are a couple of highlights of laws I launched or supported final yr that turned regulation:
• Investment in South Carolina’s navy installations by funding Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island’s Entry Control Facility, Fort Jackson’s reception barracks, Joint Base Charleston’s Fire and Rescue Station, McEntire Joint National Guard Base’s Hazardous Cargo Pad, Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort’s Instrument Landing System, and extra.
• Authorization of full funding for the missions of the Savannah River Site, together with laying the groundwork for the Savannah River Plutonium Processing Facility and modernization of the nuclear triad. Payment in lieu of taxes was additionally secured for Barnwell, Aiken and Allendale counties.
• Prevention of the Defense Department from dishonorably discharging a servicemember who refuses the COVID-19 vaccine.
• Continued funding for deployment of the National Guard to the Southern U.S. border.
• Establishment of an impartial fee to evaluation the whole thing of the Afghanistan War, together with the disastrous U.S. withdrawal from that nation by the Biden administration, making a protected haven for terrorists to assault American households, as occurred with the Texas synagogue.
Now, in reference to my 2022 Agenda, the next is only a sampling of particular points and laws I’ll proceed to advocate this yr:
• Legislation nullifying President Biden’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate on non-public employers with greater than 100 staff.
• Encourage a pilot program to ease strains on the provision chain by permitting a restricted variety of states to allow the operation of vehicles weighing above the federally allowable most of 80,000 kilos.
• Bill to forestall American employees from being compelled to affix a union or pay union charges, sustaining Right to Work.
• Bill empowering navy households with members who’ve particular wants by making a community-based, all-volunteer advisory council to make sure they’re supported once they change responsibility stations or their servicemember deploys.
• Legislation to strengthen U.S. sanctions on Iran’s typical weapons program relating to the provision, sale, or switch of unmanned drones threatening Israel and our Arab allies.
I’m grateful for the chance to serve the folks of South Carolina’s Second District and can proceed to be accountable and accessible, keep security with regulation enforcement, promote jobs, and assist make our lives and communities stronger.